Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kicked a**

I guess 'Kick Ass' lived up to it's namesake. I (all tenses of the to be verb- am, was, will be) a comic nerd, but have been a casual observer as of most recently. I saw 'Kick ass' the day after it came out in theaters and read the compilation comic novel a week before that. I couldn't put the novel down and scoped the movie for the awesomeness of super nerd money shots that I assumed would follow every punch line.


If nothing else, Nick Cage got to be the Cage that me and my friends now and love. He got dressed up in a batmanesque costume that reflected his awkward slap sticky violence. And even though he will never get a chance to be the cooky cutter straight laced man o' steal. He will always be able to be outlandishly entertaining simply by the virtue of his own ridiculousness.
The hero of the movie seemed to plucky and naively optimistic in stark contrast to his comic book mirror image. After reading the comic it did my heart good to see him less pathetic. But the fact that the comic hero was so pathetic is what makes him indearing to comic book readers.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel like a hopeless looser sometimes. I feel like, if I tried to be the super hero I wanted to be when I was younger, I would get my ass kicked. I feel like I need something to pull me away from the mundaneness of reality. And that's what kick ass came from.



Those are the feelings that made kick ass real and were even addressed in the movie in the dialogue of his play gay toy possessor of a girlfriend in the end. For the most part the comic industry falls short in hero comics because they are so unbelievable and frustratingly oblivious to the dirt under the feet of the heroes that live in/save from other super powered spandex fetishites.
The rocket pack at the end saved my attention span, because of the build up. I'm no critique just a pseudo nerd blogger that didn't want to put any spoilers online till the buzz died down. Too bad it didn't do as well as it could have because of the 10 year old homicidal mania.

P.S.-the news really needs to stop showing me things that I can look up on my twitter account. (frustrated side)

No comments:

Post a Comment